ICPHSO Report / January 2017
ICPHSO 2016 International Symposium, Brussels Recap
The ICPHSO 2016 International Symposium was held November 14-15, 2016, in Brussels. The Symposium was held in conjunction with the European Commission’s International Product Safety Week and was a resounding success. Led by ICPHSO Board Member and Planning Chairman Rod Freeman, Hogan Lovells and his team, everything from the planning to the actual two-day meeting turned out to be a great content driven event leading up to the EC’s meetings the rest of the week.
Over 240 attendees representing stakeholders from 34 countries met and participated in the two-day symposium. Presentations from European Commissioner Vĕra Jourová and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye opened the Symposium with commitments to continue to working cooperatively on product safety issues affecting consumers, and to continue to share information concerning emerging safety issues affecting consumers globally.
Panel sessions during the Symposium included:
- The Internet of Things (IoT) and what we need to know as it relates to product safety;
- The behavior of consumers affects the safety journey;
- Looking at ISO 10377 as the Building Block for a Compliance Program;
- Standards alignment can be both good and bad;
- Creating safety criteria for innovative products to ensure the products can be sold and marketed safely;
- A panel for non-millennials by millennials which offered us some serious and concrete suggestions on how to engage the millennial community in product safety issues;
- Ways to improve consumer product safety by looking at current risks and lessons learned;
- Product safety regulators from around the globe (Europe, Australia, China, United States, Health Canada) who updated all attendees on their latest regulatory activities.
These were just a few of the many sessions held during the two-day symposium. More details can be found in a summary in the Executive Director Blog at 2016 International Symposium Summary. Thanks again to Rod Freeman and his team from Hogan Lovells International LLP (Ellie Pszonka, Sarah-Jane Dobson, Anthea Davies, and Valerie Kenyon) for an outstanding Symposium.
Our 2017 International Symposium will be held in mid-November, 2017 in Tokyo, Japan. Rod and his team have already started the planning process and we should be holding a planning meeting sometime during the 2017 Symposium in Orlando, Florida. Be sure to check our website and announcements when that initial planning meeting will take place in Orlando.